"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, August 16, 2014

At Home

After a mostly non-eventful but very long trip home, I made it safely to Anchorage. And with my luggage, too!  Of course, the luggage contents had been messed with by TSA, and the re-packing job was apparently subcontracted to some angry apes who just shoved stuff back in the bags. Strangely, I did not feel any safer after they checked my luggage. Or after they checked anyone else's luggage either. 

The jet lag is killer coming back from Kyrgyzstan. No matter how late I stay up, I still wake up every morning between 3:30 and 4:30. Scout also wakes up then because I am up, and she demands to be fed. This throws her schedule off all day, which generally results in a confrontation over her evening meal, which she demands in the early afternoon, and then again in the early evening. Regardless, it is wonderful to be home and getting some rest, which Scout helps me with by sleeping on my lap. 

On the trip, I lost about 15 pounds (7 kilos) and more than two inches off my waist. This requires new trousers and underwear. I didn't think the latter would be necessary, but quickly learned that properly fitting underwear is a good thing. Let your imagination run wild. . .

I came home with 115 pounds of gear.  As I have been cleaning and sorting the gear, I have identified 11 pounds (so far) that will not be going back with me when I return. As an example, I saved almost three pounds by cutting excess weight in my kitchen, as well as cutting the volume by at least half. I nested a SnowPeak 900 in a SnowPeak 1400, with a SnowPeak 700 cup thrown in. Less than a pound. Left at home two plates, a bowl, a pot and a tea kettle, and the frying pan I never use. And the pods for the coffee, sugar, salt and pepper. They will get zip locks next year.  My goal is to take less than 100 pounds back with me. 85 pounds would be just about right. 

I still have to tackle the tool and spare parts kit, but I need to finish some garage reorganization first. That should be done in a week or so. I also have an idea for a tool kit to mount to the inside of the right rear luggage rack I need to work on, as well as modifying some brake and clutch levers to take back with me. I want shorter ones, but I can't find them, so I will have to modify some. 

Over the next several weeks, I will also write some more thoughts, post some more pictures, and develope the plan for the return trip. We're not done yet, folks, so check back from time to time. One thing I will do is post a map that shows the entire route on it, for those who have been asking. I also hope to post some maps of particular days, with info such as elevation changes as well. 

Romaniac wants pictures of Lake Issykul, so I must go back. There is nothing worse than an angry Romaniac on your trail. 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Dan ....I'm disappointed for you but glad to know you're in good health....Read you soon ...take it easy ! ! ! Laurent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear you made it home without further adventure. Hope to see you in Anchorage next week! Noel

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the blog goes empty for a week. What? You don't have a Global Online Entry System pass? You were standing in line behind Albanians for a week? Riding is like being a mountaineer, sometimes you need to know when to call it a day and try another time. Definitely a good move. But I will have my Issy Kul photos one way or the other. I still can't believe I was a few miles away in 1999 and no one bothered to drive us down to the lake. Something about radioactivity. And then there was the whole thing about mistaking the road to the Chinese Border for the Mingtur Pass. At any rate i can totally sympathize with being worn out by Kyrgyzstan. The altitude alone is a killer in places. Let me know when you are going back. Maybe i'll join you on the NC700X if the TKCs and skid plate I have been looking at in my garage for 3 months transform the beast into a dirt worthy ride..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're home safe. I enjoyed your travelogue and checked it daily as many others did. At least when you go back you won't have the hassle with customs about the motorcycle.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you made it back safe and sound. We just missed you by a few days, we are now back in SD. Warmest wishes & Semper-Fi, Buzz, Carol, and Mack

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're safe, my friend. Give me a shout when you have time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just spent 3hours hooked up to an IV in hospital but it was time well spent as I read all your blogs since you left us in Cappadocia. Quite a trip! I felt for you every time that moto fell over but my heart lifted when I saw all the beautiful landscapes! Look forward to hearing about the next leg of the trip Liz x

    ReplyDelete