"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, April 28, 2012

First, the bike.  It is, as I said, a 2009 BMW G650GS.  It is the smallest BMW dual sport, weighing in at 423 lbs (192 kg) with fuel, and a load capacity of another 415 lbs (188 kg).  With all my gear on, I soak up 200 lbs of that, and the gear I carry adds another 116 lbs.  The panniers and racks are another 30 lbs, and you can see there isn't much excess capacity left for water and food.

The engine is a single cylinder, producing 50 hp at 6500 rpm and about 44 lbs/ft of torque at 5000 rpm.  The literature says it should give me 74 mpg at 55 mph, but I've never seen better than 60 mpg.  Perhaps I drive too fast or put too much weight on it.  There is no excess power here either.  Likewise, the alternator puts out 400 w, so excess capacity is scarce for electronics as well.

The wheels are 19 inches in the front, and 17 inches in the rear, both being stopped by single rotor ABS disk brakes.  The ABS can be switched off for dirt riding.

Upgrades:

The factory suspension seemed soft to me, with lots of diving of the front end upon even light to moderate braking.  I contacted HR Racing in Anchorage, and had them install RaceTech Goldvalve Emulators in the front forks, and RaceTech springs front and rear to accommodate a 180 pound rider.  They also modified the rear shock so it can be rebuilt with a kit easily instead of replacing the shock.

Rick Mayer Cycles is customizing the seat to provide better support and comfort.  I look forward to a different experience from the factory seat.

I installed a Mirage 1 fairing with touring wind screen from Britannia Composites in B.C. Canada.  I thought it would more convenient to mount a GPS there than on the handlebars.  Perhaps I got a little carried away.  It now has the GPS, a USB port, a RAM mount for the Veypor motorcycle computer, and a switch for the driving lights.


The driving lights are MondoMotos' 3 inch LED MM-12AUX, mounted on a bar designed for a different light set up, but using MondMotos' very excellent wiring harness.  They are powerful and really beautiful on the bike.  The headlight is protected by a Lexan plastic protector from Australian MotorcycleHeadlight Protectors, delightful people with whom to deal.

Electrical upgrades like the USB port are from BurnsMoto, and distribution is through the incredibly easy Fuzeblock.  That is a very useful and useable piece of equipment that eliminates the need to make multiple taps into the electrical system.

No comments:

Post a Comment