"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Sunday, April 29, 2012

More Upgrades

I also added a Scottoiler for the chain to make sure that it is getting at least some lubrication.  I know that I lack knowledge of what is required to maintain the chain drive, so I have tried to minimize the impact of that lack, recognizing I still have to learn about chains and oiling and chain maintenance.

Almost all of the protective devices are from Touratech: heavy duty bash plate, fairing guards, engine guards, chain guards, folding gearshift lever and brake stops.  I replaced the BMW foot pegs with Pivot Pegs because the factory pegs were little tiny things.  Touratech a;so supplied the rear rack extension.

One important set of guards are the radiator guards, as the radiator sets right behind the front wheel.  BMW does not provide a guard, and only has plastic shrouds to direct airflow.  I found some beautiful heavy gauge aluminum guards with black powder coating from Kildala2000 in the ADV Vendors forum.  He was out of stock, but had half a dozen made up and sent one to me in time for the trip.  I mean this is one of the nicest looking pieces on the bike, soon to be covered with gravel dings and bug parts.

The panniers and racks are from Happy Trails.  I chose the Cascade boxes because the boxes are narrower and deeper to get the weight lower.  I may have over thought this solution, but will find out in the next five weeks.

I also added 35 mm handle bar risers, and braided steel brake lines front and rear.  The handlebars now bang against the tank bag, so I will have to replace the BMW tank bag with something a little lower -- or just deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment