"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Sunday, August 4, 2013

Northward

  So I got up and headed north. I thought I might visit Canyonlands National Park, but as I turned into the Park, the weather started threatening, so I turned around.  Next I thought I would stop at Arches National Park, but while in the Visitors Center, some rude Frenchman pushed me out of the way as I was looking at an exhibit.  I was hot, it was hot outside, and the rudeness just put me off.  So I just got back on the bike and started riding.

  Motorcyclists know that motorcycle tires wear out much faster than car/truck tires.  I had been watching the tread wear, and looking for a source for new tires for a week or so, as the tires I was running were known to last on the average 6500 to 7500 miles.  I was getting close to that bottom number, and only had 1/8th of an inch of tread on the rear tire.
 
  Moab.  What can you say about Moab?  Red?  Been said.  Beautiful?  Been said.  Awesome?  Been said.  It is just surreal.

  While riding down the street in Moab, I saw a sign that said "Powersports" on the front of a building, with a motorcycle or two outside.  I stopped to inquire, and they said they didn't have what I needed, but Fred would.  Fred?  Arrowhead Enterprises.  They looked up his telephone number, I called, he had what I needed, and would install them while I waited.  Off I went.

  If you are ever in or near Moab, and you need stuff for your motorcycle, this is the guy.  Write it down: The Guy.  Not only did he have the exact tire I wanted (as opposed to any tire will do) for both the front and the rear, but he had the equipment to change the tires and changed them in an hour or less.  I would still be trying to spoon that rear tire on.  And Romaniac?  He sells parts for KLR's just for people like you.

  It was after this wonderful experience that I ran into the Frenchmen, or they ran into me, but I found this arch anyway:


  See the people?  Harley riders. They infest the West like locusts as their Sturgis rally draws near. More like cicadas, really, with their ugly noise. Fie on them, fie I say!  Let them be muffled, and made to be courteous, or not ride at all. 

 But I digress from my story. 

1 comment:

  1. Powersports on the south end of Moab are great guys. They spooned on a d606 for me so I could go ride the White Rim legally. Charged me half what the Zooki dealer in Clodwell charges. You didn't miss anything in Arches. I drove by that park for over a decade without going in. Last April it was raining so we drove in. Got into it with the jerk ranger and left.

    ReplyDelete