"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Friday, January 24, 2014

Bike Modifications for this trip

The bike has undergone some modifications for this trip.  Two goals were in mind: to lighten the bike and its load, and to improve its ability to handle whatever load I put on it.  After speaking with Lisa Thomas at the Overland Expo in Mormon Lake Arizona last year, I decided to put the Touratech Explore HP Rear Shock on the bike.  Lisa and her husband Simon have been riding around the world for many years.  She carries a much heavier load than I plan to, and reports that this shock is better than any she has ever used.  So I ordered it up and installed it.  Lets see how it does.

Next, I put on a Remus Roxx muffler.  This titanium device sheds many pounds, and removes the heavy catalytic converter from the right side (I now have a huge space there).  The shape of this exhaust caused me to have to change the rear luggage racks from the Happy Trails to a lighter Touratech rack.  Finally, I decided to use the fabric bags designed by Walter Colebatch, the Adventure Spec Magadan bags.  I will also use two Wolfman Rollies (waterproof bags) up front for light gear.  Altogether, these changes save about 25 pounds.  I reduced the gear weight by another 25 pounds, bringing total wight loss to 50 pounds.  It is actually a title kore than that, but removing 50 pounds from the weight on the rear subframe is really important.  The 10,000 miles already on the bike had already caused the lower left rear subframe bolt to wear out the nut, requiring a through-bolt solution.

I also decided to have the protection plates, bars and guards powder coated a neon yellow.  I first saw this on some Twisted Throttle project bikes, and thought it looked interesting.  Then I saw it on Tiffany Coates' bike Thelma.  It makes sense to me to increase visibility.  Also, it helps readily identify the bike if it is stolen.

Another modification was to switch out the Scottoiler chain oiler for the OSCO (One Second Chain Oiler) brand.  The Scottoiler certainly did the job, but at a great mess.  Hopefully the OSCO oiler will make less of a mess.

As you can see, the bike has been taken to The Motorcycle Shop for final servicing and crating. 

Some links:

Lisa and Simon Thomas  These two have been riding around the world for years.

Walter Colebatch and Sibirsky Extreme Walter Colebatch is an amazing guy.  His ride report of riding off-road from Poland to Siberia is the classic ride report in modern adventure motorcycle reporting.

Tiffany Coates  This woman is hilarious.  Her primary motorcycle is an older BMW named Thelma.  She has ridden it just about everywhere.

OSCO chain oiler

Touratech Explore Rear Shock

No comments:

Post a Comment