"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The Plan for 2014 - a plan 30 years in the making

Where:  Europe, Morocco, Central Asia, Russia, and Mongolia

When: I leave March 29th to pick up the bike in Northern Europe, and have a return ticket from Antwerp to Anchorage on September 30th.

Why:  In 1980 or so, I read Fitzroy Maclean's epic book, Eastern Approaches.  In the book he wrote about his trips to Central Asia and various cities along the old Silk Road.  The book captured my imagination, and I have wanted to travel there since the first reading.  Maclean died a few years ago, and his obituary is worth reading.  In 2003, I read Charles Gallenkamp's book, Dragon Hunter: Roy Chapman Andrews and the Central Asiatic Expeditions.   The stories of the Gobi Desert and Mongolia once again captured my imagination, and I have wanted to see the Gobi and Mongolia ever since.  Those two books, with their descriptions of the those places, are the genesis for the ideas which formed the plans for this trip.

With regards to the Morocco portion, who can forget the movie, Casablanca (the greatest movie of all time, regardless of what critics say about Citizen Kane)?  And for those old enough to remember the book, The Drifters, by James Michener, Marrakech and environs beckon.  Finally, who, in their heart of hearts, doesn't want to visit places with names like Fez, or Timbuktu, if the opportunity arises?  As Don Quixote sang, ". . .  my destiny calls, I must go."

As for Europe and Russia, they are merely corridors, routes that must be traversed to and from those other places.  Not to say there won't be some interesting places along the way, hopefully the Acropolis among them, as well as some island hopping along the way: Sardinia, Corsica, Sicily.  We will see as the trip unfolds.

What:  After a lot of deliberation, and seeking of advice, I have decided to take the small bike, the BMW G650GS.  This is not a trip where speed is central to success.  Rather, I need a steady, agile platform with which to negotiate the Pamir Highway and the Western Mongolian tracks.  While the 1200 Adventure is more than capable of handling those bits, as well as out-performing the 650 on the highways, it is a significantly heavier bike, and under my control, not as nimble as the 650.  Since I am traveling alone, I will take advantage of the extra margin of safety in the 650.  Moreover, with the 650, I will be less likely to overload it.  At least that is my intent.  Those who know me know that I have always over-packed in the past.  It will be a real challenge to not do so on this trip.  I hope what I have learned in the past two trips will be focused on preparation for this one.

There are less than 90 days now before the trip starts.  The bike and luggage have to be ready to ship by the last week in January.  I will try to keep this blog updated as the final planning unfolds, including posting the detailed route.  The priority now, however, is to get the bike ready for shipping. That will be the focus over the next three weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment