"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, March 22, 2014

Things Undone

What is left to do?  Plenty, I suppose, like getting the final documents packed, adding a few more clothes (since all of my gear is with the motorcycle), and finalizing the comm plan.  Let me explain about that a bit.

Here is what I am taking as communication devices:

This MacBook Air, so I can do email and blog, or read the news or a book if I am so inclined.  I can only use it, of course, when there is a wireless network.  Or maybe my cellphone.

My cellphone, an iPhone 4S.  I will have it in cellphone only mode (data roaming off), and I will purchase prepaid Vodaphone SIM cards to use for cell service.  If you get a text from a weird country code, it may be me.  I will also add a SMS texting client, but I have not decided which one yet, but I will post it here when I do.

My SPOT tracker.  This is a one-way device.  It will give you an indication of where I am.  There is a link below.  I can also use this device to summon help if there is an emergency.  However, it may not work in some parts of Central Asia and western Mongolia.  So there is need for a supplemental device.

A DeLorme inReach SE.  This device is a tracking device, but also allows two-way text messaging using the Iridium satellite system.  That means it is available everywhere.  I will post a link later this week that will allow you to follow the mason the DeLorme website, as I am still setting this up.

Of course, there are a myriad of other details as well.  Making lists of what people want me to bring them, etc.  My friend Barb wants a goat bell, I suppose because her husband keeps wandering off, and she needs to keep track of him.  Bells are cheaper than tracking devices, but not as accurate.  Maybe Barb should just get him a leash for his collar, I dunno.

Oh, and notifying the credit card companies I am leaving town.  They don't like it if you forget to tell them.

More later.  I have to finish the tax return, too. . .

No comments:

Post a Comment