"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Planning and Lists

The plan for 2015 is to complete the trip.  That is, to continue through Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan, Russia, and into Mongolia.  I have a more definite route plan now, and will write about that later.  Yes, Romaniac, I plan to see Lake Issykul (Ysyk-Köl).  After some consulting with David Burghof at STANtours, I'm getting another Russian visa - or at least applying for one. The paperwork amounts to the same, but since I have done it before, it is a lot less intimidating. It just isn't feasible to try and ride through China to get from Kazakhstan to Mongolia.

As to timing, I just received info that I ought to go to Washington, D.C. for a meeting on June 4.  Tentatively, I will leave D.C. for Osh on June 5, assuming I can get all logistics worked out.  By the time I get to Mongolia, the spring run-off should be over, and the rivers back to their more or less normal levels.  Of course, since we are dealing with Nature, and Weather, it is a shake and roll of the dice as to what I will actually encounter.  And that is why they call it "Adventure riding."

Ar for lists, I seem to have too many.  There is the three page list I made in Frankfurt of things I need to consider for this years trip.  Then there is the four page list of things I took last time, which needs to be examined in light of things that appear on the previous list.  Then there is my "brain f*rt" list that has everything I think of as I sit and ponder, or comes to me in a flash of brilliant inspiration (or, more likely, like a gas bubble, but nonetheless worth writing down).  It is in another notebook, and runs to three handwritten pages now.  I also have random thoughts written and saved as notes in Evernote.   Finally, there is my departure list from last year, which I will re-write and modify as a departure list for this year.  I may soon need a list to manage my lists.

I am getting pretty excited again.  I understand why some people make this type of travel their life' work.  Plenty of challenges both physically and mentally, an unending variety of people to meet, places to see, smells and tastes to enjoy, and things to hear.  of course, I have to leave my Little Dog Scout at home, and I will miss her companionship.


Right now she is dreaming, and those little paws are running . . .

1 comment:

  1. What are you talking about? It's perfectly feasible to ride from Kyrgyzstan through China. You don't have to go to Kstan. Just take a left turn at the bottom of the Mingtur Pass. When you get to the border station at China one of two things will happen. You will get a visa with smiley face stickers or they will shoot you. At least that's what they told me when I took a wrong turn there in 1999. I didn't make it all the way up the hill to the border crossing though so I can't vouch for the advice the Kyrgyz horse-milker gave me. I do know this though. You can always ride through China, it's just a matter of how much you're willing to pay. And given your reluctance to spring for $25 levers, I'm guessing you wouldn't want to front the Chinese $10K to avoid a 500 mile detour. Issykul photos! Issykul photos! We await. But if you change your mind about China I have the Rosetta Stone package, levels 1-5 for you to borrow. You could easily get up to the I'm f'n lost, help me please level in two months. Zhu hau yun !

    ReplyDelete