"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, February 23, 2015

Romaniac may be right!

My old friend Romaniac, who often (or at least some of the time) leads me astray, may be right about those levers.  I tried ordering three different sets of levers that were all supposed to fit the G650GS, but when they arrived, they didn't.  That is why I decided I would do them myself - and because I had the tools laying around.

A significant problem with ordering these parts off the internet is that the photographs of the parts being offered for a specific model don't always match what the part really looks like.  So even though these parts show that, for instance, the tab on the front brake letter that activates the rear brake light when the handle is pulled looks like it may be the right length and in the right location, none of the levers I ordered even had that tab when they arrived.  And they are all being manufactured in China.  BMW did not help matters when they changed the designation of the F650 single cylinder to G650, and now use the F650 designation on the twin cylinder.  The single and the twin are not anything alike, from engine to frame to brake and clutch levers.  And I will forgo the opportunity to attempt an explanation in Chinese over the international telephone system which for some reason still sounds like a string between two orange juice cans.

However, if Romaniac wants to send me some, I will try and fit them and let everyone know how that all works out!  Maybe if I send him pictures of Lake Issykul (or Issyk Kul), he will be so thrilled that his wallet will spring open and the parts will arrive in Almaty as if by MAGIC!  Odds are 25:1 against.

No comments:

Post a Comment