"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, February 7, 2015

Shortening the Clutch and Front Brake Levers


The stock levers for the clutch and front brake, as it turns out, are a little too long for me. They barely fit inside the BMW hand guards, and if the bike falls, the levers usually get hit, and can break or bend. Or worse, they can get jammed inside the guards. Further, it is easier to control the throttle if you only use two fingers on the brake lever, and the ring and little fingers on the throttle grip.

I spoke with Don Rosene, owner of The Motorcycle Shop, about how much to cut off. Don, who raced motorcycles for many years, said the racers would cut off the levers right where the manufacturers usually put the break-off crease. That's a crease or weak spot in the lever near the end that allows the end of the lever to break off on a sharp impact. My problem is that BMW doesn't put such a crease in the levers on the G650GS. Don told me that after they cut the ends off, they would put a piece of fuel hose on the cut end of the lever to keep from cutting your hand on the rough edge.  

So several days ago I started the project on the levers I have that I will take back with me. The levers are very easy to replace, so I will shorten these two, take them with me, and then replace the two that are on the bike with these. 

First, I eyeballed my levers next to some short levers that don't fit my bike (they will likely fit an F650GS- long story). 


Clutch levers.


Front brake levers. 

Using first a Dremel tool with a cut-off wheel to mark where I wanted the cut to be, then a fine-toothed hacksaw to finish the cut, I cut off the ends. Now they looked like this:



The clutch lever looks like it is too long. The brake lever looks better, but seems a little long too.  So I hacked away at them until I liked the way they looked.





Now that they are even (more or less), I decided I should try to replicate the ball on the end of the original levers.  Step one, drill a hole:


After drilling the hole, I tapped the hole, and (using Red Lactate), I installed these bolts with locking washers.


Lousy picture, but you get the idea.  By using these bolts, I am trying to add a little bulk, and a solid end piece for the levers.  I also want something to which the final ingredient, Sugru, can adhere.

Here they are with the Sugru on them.  
  

Sugru is a wonderful substance.  I have only been able to find it on the internet, as it has a short shelf life.  It is a rubber compound, sold in sealed packets.  When you open the packets and expose it to air, it is pliable and can be molded by hand easily.  After exposure to air, it will solidify and become a harder rubbery substance.  It retains some flex, but not a lot.  I carry it to use for repairs, and it is very, very handy.  All the turn signals (save one) on the moto have their stalks repaired with Sugru.


1 comment:

  1. Or you could have just bought these for $25.

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121139035351?lpid=82&chn=ps

    But I guess when you are retired and on a fixed income your time is irrelevant. And who wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play with some wonder substance that emerges pliable from its wrapping and then sets up to a rubberlike consistency. What an amazing age we live in.

    ReplyDelete