"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, February 23, 2015

Sara (and Malcom)

Sara has written a few comments to one of the entries below, and it was wonderful to hear from her  - and Malcom too!  They are a wonderful young couple who, as you will recall, I met the day after I fell on the Pamir, and were so encouraging that day, and again when I met them later in Osh.  Since Sara made that post, I have corresponded with them, and they sent me some really fantastic information on the rest of their trip.  Unfortunately, they didn't have a blog, so their trip is not available on the internet.  However, I will use the information they provided in further route planning, and I intend to give them credit as I go along.

Many travel writers, the foremost being Ted Simon of Jupiter's Travels fame, have expounded that when traveling, it is not the destination, it is the journey.  Others have written that the destination is the most important part of the traveller's experience.  I tend to fall in another camp, that the most important and enjoyable aspect of travel is the people you meet on the road.  This couple is an excellent example

There is a great deal of sharing of information and supplies and support on the road.  On the day I met Sara and Malcom, I was really done in.  I was in pain, I was exhausted, and I was discouraged.  I had really wanted to ride in the Pamir's, a vast, high range.  I knew I was not going to make it.  I was very down.  When I met them, they encouraged me to continue, offered to help in every way and in any way they could.  While I believe I made the right decision not to continue with them that day (the impending trench foot issue would have stalled me in Khorog for a week), their encouragement sure helped get me back to Dushanbe, and then through the Anzob Tunnel and on to Osh where I would see them again.  They gave that extra push I needed just then.

And now they have helped again with route information, as they continued on to Mongolia after they left Osh.  As you all know, we all stand on the shoulders of those who have gone before.  I sure appreciate what they have done for me, and I am sure they have done for others as well.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment