"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Mt. Rushmore

I will backfill the Rawhyde Adventure segment later. In the meantime, I will say that it was awesome. 
Monday I rode through the rain along the "Front Range" of Colorado until I was tired of being wet and not seeing the road because the rain was bouncing 18 inches off the pavement. Riding downhill into a tight right corner and not being able to see the fog line is dicey for me. So on the advice of my friend and Concierge, Bryan, I headed east to the prairie. No rain, just wind, but it dried me out completely. 
I rode through and on the edge of the Pawnee and Oglala National Grasslands. They are spectacular. It is easy to imagine the Plains' Indians, buffalo, antelope, trappers, mountain men, and immigrants under the blue bowl of sky as they made their way. 
After spending the night in Kimball, NE, I made my way to Scott's Bluff on the Oregon Trail. The immigrants were possessed of incredible courage, strength, and an indomitable will. It is difficult to imagine their daily existence, but I admire and respect them. 
I continued north headed for Custer State Park. I passed through Wind Cave National Park which is very beautiful. It leads into the Black Hills, and there are rolling grasslands and pine forests on the hills. The riding is spectacular. There is one 270 degree turn where you go over a bridge, turn, and go under the bridge. It's called a "pigtail bridge," and I was to see more of them later. 
In the park, I encountered a buffalo, trotting up the shoulder of the road. This was somewhat disconcerting, because as soon as he saw me the changed look in his eye told me the bike and I had become the immediate object of his carnal desire. Thank heavens for BMW's low end torque and instant throttle response. I was gone. 
There was no room in the park to camp, so I wound up at Wolf Run, a private campground just outside the park. I slept for 12 hours, being wakened once by the wolves howling, and wakened by them this morning, too. It was a wonderful and friendly place. 
This morning I headed up 16A, "The Pigtail."  Twisty, turning, low speed, tunnels, and at least four Pigtail bridges. Just a few crazy drivers who, not being satisfied with their current hood ornament, continually seek another by drifting across the centerline. 
So here I am at Mt. Rushmore. I will post some pictures too. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm adding "concierge" to my resume. The photos look great, as does the weather.

    ReplyDelete