"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Sunday, July 21, 2013

The Badlands


  I put Mt. Rushmore in my rear view mirror and headed for the Badlands of South Dakota. If you were following the track on the SPOT, you saw my confusion, as I backtracked twice looking for Park Headquarters. So my  path took me to the Pine Ridge Reservation, and an interpretive center at White River. As I walked in the door, a Native woman sitting at a picnic table called out "Indian Tacos!  Only $5!  They're really good!"

  I told her I knew Indian Tacos were really good, recalling some Indian flatbread Meredith and I had recently enjoyed near Tucson, and I would see her when I came out. I got the info I needed from the staff inside, and came out and ordered my Indian Taco.

  It was good, a little sweet, and she explained that she hand made the bread and meat mixture, making them a little sweet like her mother did. Her husband helped out by putting the chopped onion, lettuce, etc on the taco. 

  I hadn't eaten much yet that day, so when I finished I told her thank you, and that God had put her there that day to feed me when I was hungry. She told me yes, she had taken vows with the Franciscans, and had vowed to feed the hungry, give shelter to those who needed shelter, and tend to the sick. 

  We then discussed how the Jesuits would come to a place as missionaries, and start building the church, and then the Franciscans would come, finish the church, and stay and serve the people. Meanwhile, her husband looked at me as though I were a space alien. 

  I finally found Park Headquarters, and cooled off a bit. I took some photos, which I will post, but just enjoyed the beauty. It's a peaceful place for me, and I enjoy the landscape. 

No comments:

Post a Comment