"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Friday, July 12, 2013

WA, OR, ID, UT and now CO

After a slow start in WA, including an unplanned detour into Portland (missed a sign), I blazed (101 degrees) across OR to a lovely camp at Farewell Bend. In this section I learned that gas mileage decreases dramatically as average speed increases. 
I also learned that with the Big Agnes Lost Ranger sleeping bag and air mattress combo, I don't need the cot. Also, since the bag has a pouch for a pillow, I don't need the camp pillow, as I can stuff the pouch with a fleece. More cubic inches and weight to ship home!
The next morning, after finding gas and fixing an issue with a credit card, I stopped at Big Twin BMW in Boise. We engineered a fix for the seat release (1/2 inch hole-- pictures later), and I bought hot weather riding pants. They really helped riding across the rest of Idaho in 101 degrees again with high winds. That day I got down into Utah, just east of Salt Lake City. 
The highlights of the camp at Rockport State Park were the bugs and raccoons, the latter having left little paw prints on the seat. 
Next morning I headed east on 40. I rode 40 across Utah and into Colorado. The first and last parts of 40 are in the mountains and gorgeous. The parts in between are arid, some times hilly, sometimes flat, sometimes windy, and always hot. I saw some beautiful farm and ranch land though, with creek and river bottomland filled with lush green crops or grass. After Steamboat Springs, the route takes on the appearance of Colorado in the tourist brochures. Why the pioneers ever left here must be because of snow. Otherwise, you can live here in beautiful surroundings. Lots of deer too. 
I spent the night at a Best Western in Dillon. It was pouring rain, and I needed a shower.  After I finish my Starbucks latte, I'm headed to the riding course I have pushed so hard to be here for. It starts at noon, and since I doubt there is cell coverage or Internet, I will likely be off line until Monday. Same with the SPOT. The course is by Rawhyde Adventures, and you can find them on the web. 
One last word about this bike: it is a beautiful machine. I am really enjoying it. I usually have a smile on my face. I hope I can learn to ride it as well as it deserves. 

Peace, out. 

2 comments:

  1. I couldn't remember my Google account earlier so I couldn't comment. Glad to see you made it in time for the course, and I hope it is worthwhile! Looking forward to seeing you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What ! You drove through Boise and didn't stop for lunch? I would have GIVEN you a pair of Klim mesh pants. Not now.

    ReplyDelete