"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Ferries, Sicily, Italy

The overnight ferry was 14 hours. I had dinner, looked at maps, and chatted up an Australian couple. I had a second class ticket which meant a reserved reclining seat. This time I claimed it and used it and the next one over, too. It was a fitful sleep.

While waiting to catch the ferry, I had a good talk with a young man who did a lot of this same trip, plus China, from the other direction. He has great plans for the future, and I hope he fulfills them. 

I also met a group of bikers from Tunisia who are "doing the islands" this year. They are quite active, and invited me to come to Tunisia. Next October they are riding in Algeria, which could be great. 

Also on the ferry was a prisoner transport detail of Italian police of one kind or another, but not the Penitentary Police, because they were on the Messina ferry. In any event, they had moved quite a load of prisoners, with an 18 seat van and two armored SUV chase cars.  These guys were all nice (they sat next to me at dinner), but looked very able. Moreover, the butt of each pistol that I saw had the bluing worn off right where the second hand grips it. 

Another group on the ferry were some young Muslim men, who got up three times with their prayer rugs to go pray. They were faithful even while traveling on a ship. Just a passing note. 

I left Palermo and rode up the coast. The headlands are rocky, vertical, and massive. The harbor is large, and the town comes right down to meet it. There is a mix of new and old style architecture, gardens, statuary, and other memorials. Fruit and vegetable vendors set up their stalls along the roadway after you leave the central area, and by "along" I mean in the roadway. 

I am going to quit bitching about European drivers after this one last comment: Italy could balance its national budget by not painting any lines on the roadways, or putting up any traffic control signs. Neither one of those are considered by Italian drivers at any time at all. Save the money, Italy!  Don't waste it!  Who cares about a silly line on the road?!  Or a no passing sign?!  Or a sign posting a suggested speed limit?  I mean, come on, speed limits? Staying in a lane? That is ridonculus!

After awhile, I knew I had to get up on the autostrada away from the coast. I did. Then I remembered I hadn't turned on the trackers. So you only see me on the AS.   The AS is faster, but you spend a lot of time in tunnels. To keep the roads straight and not too steep, Italy builds bridges over the valleys that lead to the tunnels through the mountains. I like the concept, but I think sometimes they drill a tunnel through a hill where a cut would do. Regardless, I spent too much time in tunnels and not enough in sunshine. 

I will write more tomorrow. It's late, I rode 399 miles today, and I need some rest.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dan, we met you on the ferry to Italy and I took some pictures. I promised to send them by Email but unfortunately I lost the adress. Today I looked over them and found the pictures from you and my husband. After searching your platenumber with google I came to this blog. If you want to contact me and get the fotos, please write to: groom.and.shoot.dogs@gmail.com.
    Kind regards
    Erika

    ReplyDelete