"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Saturday, May 31, 2014

Mystrás

My plan for the day was to visit Mystrás for a few hours, then ride to Corinth and visit that site. Two out of three, okay?

Mystrás is a Byzantine fortified city, with the castle at the top of the hill and the walled city with its churches and monasteries and so forth descending the hillside. I can't do it justice. I took many many pictures, and here are just a few. 






These little churches, and the large ones as well, have the remnants of ancient frescoes in them. When I get a chance, I will post some of those. 

While I was there, youth groups ( or groups of youths) were there as well. The only thing noisier than a busload of senior citizens at an AutoStop is a group of Greek kids on a day trip. They are hilarious. They ran up and down that mountainside like it was flat as Kansas. I had my riding pants and boots on and thought I would drop over from the heat and the humidity. Plus the banging around I took in the fall asserted itself only right side. I wasn't running anywhere!

There was also a celebration of a feast day or saints day or something, because the Metropolitan was there conducting a service, with several high rank Greek officers, plus what looked like VIP citizens. Another clue was the police all over the place. The Metropolitan and I exchanged nods, as if I were someone he should know. 

After several hours at Mystrás, I got on the road to Corinth.  I rode through Sparta for a look. Pretty nice town. Not many traffic lights, but the traffic flows pretty well. Double parking is the norm. In fact, on a two lane street, there is usually only one lane being used for traffic and there are two lanes, side by side, of parked cars. A beautiful system that works!

I made it to Corinth in due course, but a key overpass on the route to my chosen campground (the Blue Dolphin
If it matters) was closed for reconstruction. This caused a lengthy detour in the face of increasing high winds and blowing dust. But I made it. 

Weather was coming from the north and west, and it looked like this. 



Low on cash again, and not wanting to ride into town in search of an ATM, I had a loaf of bread, some awful cheese, and water for dinner. 

I went to bed planning to visit the Ancient Corinth site, then ride to Delphi the next day. 








1 comment:

  1. I was going to comment after the last post that you were seeing such beautiful places, and it sounded like you were having great meals, then I got to this post. Sorry about the awful cheese!

    ReplyDelete