"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, June 16, 2014

Random Happenings

On the ride back from my visit to Soganli, I was riding along, just really enjoying the day.  As I came out of a corner, I spotted what I at first thought was a large cat, sitting in the tall grass by the side of the road.  Turns out it was a fox, which trotted slowly across the road, then stopped to watch me ride by.  Wonderful.

I then rode on to Avanos to look at some carpets.  Bazaar 54 in Avanos is a government sponsored cooperative which has masters who teach their techniques to other village women, who in turn bring their carpets to the co-op for sale.  According to the information I was given, there are 26 master teachers there, and they have taught 4,000 women in the villages.

After learning about kilim (flat woven) carpets, single knot carpets, double knot carpets, and embroidered carpets, I got to see a showroom.  A Turkish carpet showroom is quite an experience, with carpet after carpet displayed, some twirled in the air, others rolled out with a dramatic flair, and always a running commentary.  Here is what it looked like after about 20 minutes.


I was shown one particularly beautiful silk carpet of a shade that matched the master bedroom at home.  I asked the price, and was told, it was only 71,000 TL, or about $35,500.  I guessed I could do without.

I did purchase these three carpets.


The one above was woven of all natural wool fibers with no dyes. Lots of dark colored ( perhaps just dirty?) sheep near here. 


This one is a kilim. 


And this is an embroidered and double knotted wool. 

All three. 


After spending Matt and Ben's inheritance, I rode on back t Göreme.  Just as I arrived at the edge of town, I was attacked by a dog!  A Lhasa Apso no less, barking up a storm, came running out until it deemed it had come close enough to scare me away, then returned to its home.  I almost fell over laughing.

I went back to Avanos the next day to the pottery center, where I learned about the pottery made in the area.  Beautiful stuff, particularly the Hittite style wine decanters.  The Hittites worshiped the sun and the moon, or so I was told, and their wind decanters were made with a hole in the center.  The hole allowed the sun/moon to shine through, and it was also useful when pouring the wine as you stick your arm through the hole and pour the wine by rotating the decanter around your arm.  Pretty cool stuff.

So I bought this set for Meredith.



I can't remember if I posted this before, but I also bought this plate in Istanbul.




1 comment:

  1. And I am guessing you are shipping these home? No room on the bike I would suspect.

    Beautiful stuff.

    ReplyDelete