"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Sunday, June 28, 2015

Quick Update

I made it back home to Anchorage, Alaska just before noon today. Most of the afternoon was spent at Orthopedic Physicians of Anchorage. OPA has a weekend walk-in clinic open on Sunday, so I "walked in" on my new €23.40 crutches. 

The foot is very swollen. After removing the cast and getting a new X-Ray, the physician's assistant told me it looks like there is another, smaller break. The original break is a little more open than shown on the first film. That is due to my failure to keep weight off the foot. 

The ankle was splinted for now because the foot and ankle are so swollen. They look angry, all puffy and red with large purple bruises on both sides of the foot, up the shin, and across the base of my toes. The concern is that if the swelling doesn't go down there may be some skin and soft tissue damage. I will make another visit this week for further evaluation, and a cast when appropriate. 

The rest of the plan is to keep the fracture immobile with splint/cast for three to four weeks and no weight bearing for six to eight weeks. I received quite a lecture on that point. Also a verbal beat down on keeping the foot elevated. 

With all of that, I should have time to post the pictures of the one and a half day motorcycle ride of 2015!!  Back with more tomorrow. 

3 comments:

  1. If I was your foot I would probably be angry too

    ReplyDelete
  2. (Note- Romaniac here, changed my name somehow by mistake)
    Glad you are back in ANC safe. Interested in knowing what boots you had on. I can't imagine breaking my foot in my ROMANIAN MADE Forma adventure touring boots.

    Also, nothing good comes of seeking Issykul. I should have pointed that out. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear you are back, but I am sorry about the circumstances surrounding your return.

    ReplyDelete