"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Thursday, May 24, 2012

Idaho!

After sponging off Eric for two days in Salt Lake (Bountiful, to be precise), this morning I headed north on I15 to Ogden, where I diverted to 89, then 91. The road over the pass to Logan was really nice, as the pass was broad and open. In fact, I've been in open country all day today with the exception of a striking little canyon just south of Challis.
I ran into rain squalls as I crossed the border into Idaho. Generally I missed them as the road seemed designed to meander between them, but I did get caught in one that started as rain, then hail, then snow, then rain again. The roads were only damp, and not slick, but the temps were in the 40s, and I just wasn't dressed warm enough.
At Blackfoot or thereabouts, I picked up 26 and headed almost due west to Arco. Along that way, right after 20 joins it from the east, is the first atomic energy plant built in the U S. it is no longer active, but very interesting. As I have visited it before, I didn't stop this time. At the nearby rest area I encountered two young men cycling across the U S. They were nice, and figured they have about 6 1/2 weeks left to go. They were pretty excited that yesterday with the wind at their back they were doing about 20 mph. Today, however, the wind was on their face. They weren't as excited about that.
In Arco, I turned north on 93, and it too is a highway with spectacular scenery. In the south, it is in the Lost River Valley, which is broad, bounded by low mountain ranges, with farms and ranches (mostly the latter) scattered about. The road climbs in straightforward fashion through a little pass at about 7300 feet, and then drops into another very broad valley, through which runs the Salmon River. It too has ranches, lots of stock, and is bounded by what appears to be higher, sharper mountains. It is hard to see the tops because of the low clouds.

Here are a few photos of the rain showers: one in front, one behind. The third photo is just of the general type of views in the valley of the Lost River.

Oh, I stopped in Challis (not Chellis) to warm up. I'm in a smoking room that really stinks. And is badly worn. It is squarely from the sixties. There is but one chair, old and worn, with a significant split in the seat. Overall, the room merits a D. Maybe even a D-.

I hope to get an early start tomorrow and get to at least Clarkston, Washington. But that's a little over 400 miles, so I may be optimistic. However, I did ride 345 today, so I can probably do it if the roads are good and the traffic is light.

1 comment:

  1. That hotel doesn't have the best of reception persons either. I tried calling Dan's room 2x and got disconnected both times. Oh well, the road to Custer and the ghost town I wanted to tell him about are not that life changing. But it's a really scenic dirt road. Oh wait, Dan gave up the TKCs forgot about that. Good luck on Lolo Pass. Likely be snowing on top tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete