"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Friday, May 25, 2012

Lolo to Lowell

JRon the Romaniac predicted snow at the top of Lolo Pass, but the Idaho DOT camera showed overcast but dry roadway with a temp of 40 degrees. After my adventure in the snow in Lost Trail Pass, I wasn't wanting any more of that today. When I stopped at the Country Store in Sula to get coffee and warm up after the snow adventure, the clerk advised me to just ride to Missoula and hole up for the weekend because the forecast for the weekend was worse weather to come (something about 18 inches of snow at Glacier). So when I got to Lolo, 9 miles shy of Missoula, I checked the camera again, and the forecast. It looked good enough to sneak on through.

Wrong.

More snow, more wind. But this time I didn't stop at the summit to take pictures because it was cold, windy, and slicker than a city lawyer. JRon was right.

The country from Lolo to Lowell is all forested, and the road, Highway 12, is in a river valley on both sides of the pass. This road follows the Lewis and Clark trail, as well as the Nez Perce Trail. Very historical. Very pretty, even in the rain.

I finally ran out of rain about 20 miles east of Lowell. This river (which is running very high right now) is a rafting and kayaking destination. Lots of rafters and boaters and all their attendant gear and infrastructure. When I got here, I decided to stop and see if I could get a room. This is it. I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment