"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Not much to report

It was a cold and windy day. It started out nice enough, but I could see weather building up ahead. I thought maybe after I got across the Continental Divide the weather would get better, but it only got worse. By Whitehorse it was blowing 20 mph out of the southwest with higher gusts.

It was the higher gusts that made me stop. The weather in Haines Junction was about the same as Whitehorse, but the forecast was for the winds to abate over night in both places. I was on the ragged edge of being able to control the bike so I decided to stay here.

I have some non-descript photos I took early in the day. After 10:30 I didn't feel like doing anything but holing up until the wind dropped.

I last drove this highway in May, 1982. The road I see today evokes no memories of the road I saw in 1982. The one place I kind of remembered, just north of Johnson's Crossing, still runs through the same cut, but where there was a stretch of potholes 40 yards wide and a half mile long, there is now a wonderfully paved (ok, chip sealed) section of roadway. I like the road better.

Tomorrow I am aiming for Tok, just shy of 390 miles. That is going to make for a long day. I hope I can hold up to it.

You will note the flag snapping smartly on the pole on the bow of the Klondike. They have built a nice park for it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment