"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, July 28, 2014

Bike Maintenance And Repair

I spent 5 hours on the bike doing some maintenance and repair. Replaced the front brake lever. 


You can see the lever on the bottom bent but didn't break. (Pun?). Repaired the kickstand foot that was torn off in Georgia, and the fuel can carrier also bent in Georgia. Now my right foot has more room to operate the rear brake and to stand on the pegs. 

Topped off the radiator again and noted that the rearmost oil tank fastener had pulled out of the air box. You can see from the photo that it hanging out almost an inch. 


I spent at least two hours trying to repair this, plus another half-hour when that black spacer fell down into the abyss around the engine. I couldn't make any headway. I will need to remove everything down to the top of the seat frame so I can get to the air box mounting tabs. I also need a large vise and a larger hammer so I can whack the tabs back into proper alignment. There is a shop in Osh that will let me do that. 

I'm going to start for Osh tomorrow. It should take about three days to get there. I don't know the condition of the road, so it could take longer. The adventure continues. . .

1 comment:

  1. I'll take it as a good sign that you're complaining about fixing your motorcycle rather than your feet. Hoping your recovery continues to be smooth.

    ReplyDelete