"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Tuesday, July 15, 2014

On The Way To Samarkand

The road was mostly good today, with only one really execrable portion. I did a lot of washboard, though, which is always a rattling experience. The wind was strong out of the north to start, but no real trouble. Perhaps it is just becoming background to the daily experience. 

I did a better job of hydrating and stopping to cool off. Nonetheless I can feel the weakness of the lack of food for those days I didn't eat. I better get busy!

The road, as expected, passes through a wide, wide valley. The low hills or mountain ranges can be seen way off to the north and south. Most of the valley seems to have water, and is cultivated at least near the road. There is also some oil or gas development in the valley as well. 

Apple and melon sellers dominate the roadside stands, but there are a few other fruits and vegetables on offer as well. I haven't seen any pigs since Georgia, but there are cows and chickens and donkeys as road hazards. The donkeys, which are pretty small, are used to pull carts, in which the owners stuff everything imaginable. They use the shoulder of the highway as their bi-directional traffic lane. I enjoy watching them, as they seem to be such sturdy little creatures. 

After arriving in Samarkand, I found a cash machine and obtained some dollars. I feel better now, having actual cash. But I also am down to my last 3 liters of fuel. "Not to worry," says the hotel guy, because HE knows a guy with petrol only 5 km from here. 

But that is tomorrow's adventure. Now it's time to find some good food. 

2 comments:

  1. Hey Dan

    Back in UK and i think i managed to create an account to enable mw to leave a messages so i hope you can read this.
    You are an inspirational person and it was so nice to meet you back on that lovely road to Sparta/Mystras.
    I wish i had more time with you to have a longer chat.
    Dont forget to add me as a friend on facebook (our photos are in there ) .
    keep going and most of all Have a safe trip

    Frank The Greek from UK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eat up Dan! And I hope you find some gas. Of the fuel variety.

    ReplyDelete