"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Khujand

I made it through the Anzob tunnel encountering only one traffic jam. It is not quite as bad as portrayed in the literature, but very near. I did not encounter any water more than a foot deep, but the potholes are as massive, as abrupt, and as steep as the articles say. Several times  the front wheel would just drop off and I had no idea where it was going to go. 

The tunnel was started in 2003, and is still under construction. Unfortunately, the equipment used in the construction is not well marked. Reflectors would have been nice, lights even better. Or even general lighting in the tunnel. I discovered three scaffolding type devices almost by accident. Pun!!  

It is difficult to see anything in the tunnel due to dust from the rock drilling, spray from the water running down the roadway, and all of the exhaust from the vehicles driving through and the construction equipment being operated inside. Having done it once, I don't think I need to do it again. 

Here is the portal at the northern end. 


There are supposed to be two parallel tunnels. There was two way traffic in the tunnel through which I rode, and at the south end I did not see a second portal. 

Some views at the end of the tunnel. 




After I left the tunnel, something kept hitting my helmet. At first I thought it was insects. But it was rain. I can't remember the last time I was in rain. Later, it rained heavily for awhile, and I enjoyed it. 

After the tunnel, the road followed a river for quite a ways. I stopped and took these pictures just to give you an idea of the mountains. 





The road was great today. All paved, the only awful portion being the Anzob Tunnel itself. The rest was great. I had a second pass to climb, which with the good road was no problem. At the top, there was another three mile (5 kilometer) tunnel, but it was paved and lighted!  It was a beautiful example of a tunnel. Now I know they can do it. 

After I came out of the second tunnel, the highway dropped rapidly to a broad, widening valley. The towns and villages look prosperous, there are many new houses, and agriculture is king. I took these photos of some grain fields because, well, because I was pretty sure I was in Kansas. 



I made it to Khujand without further incident or fuss. It was a pretty good day after I prayed my way through that tunnel. Tomorrow I plan to cross into Kyrgyzstan at Isfara, then ride south of 0the Uzbekistan border to Osh. If I leave early enough, I should make it in one day. It is only 322 kilometers, or 201 miles. I rode 190 miles today over two 10,000+ foot passes, and two five kilometer tunnels. Assuming decent road surfaces, and no problems with Mr. Moto, I should be able to go 322 kilometers in a day. 

Peace, out. 





3 comments:

  1. The tunnel does sound like an adventure youwouldn't want to repeat! Glad to hear of a good travel day, and hope it, and paved roads, continue.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell you where you saw rain for the last time ! ! ! What do you think about corsica's camping during the night ! ! ! It wasn't so pleasant...joke !
    Laurent

    ReplyDelete
  3. So what you are saying is that the "Tunnel of Death" has been downgraded to the "Tunnel of Fear." OK we can get onboard with that.
    I rode 260 miles today across the Idaho desert (for a court appearance). Looks like Tajikistan if you ask me. Or the Big Island. Hard to say. But Kyrgyzstan rocks. If you do not go see Lake Issykul there will be consequences. BTW- it's supposedly radioactive thanks to the Chinese. So have fun!

    ReplyDelete