"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Dragoman.com

After I unpacked, but before I was checked in, this vehicle arrived. 


People started piling off, and a guide and driver. It is a tour from Dragoman.com, which I haven't looked up yet. It seemed like a clown car from the circus, as folks kept climbing out. I just thought it was a kind of cool truck. 

Later I went out for dinner. I couldn't find the pizza place the hotel spoke of, and decided I would try and find one of the restaurants instead. Just as I arrived at one, so did a group from Dragoman. They invited me to join them, which was very decent of them, so I did. 

The restaurant was an outdoor, upscale kind of place, with fabric draped chairs. I thought I had landed in a wedding reception. We were seated next to the fountain, which had about 10-12 feet of vertical reach. Of course there was a DJ, dancing, and colored lights like a disco palace on the fountain. Hilarity ensued. 

The travelers were all very interesting people. This was not their first rodeo. These folks have all traveled extensively. I listened to many stories. It was a lot of fun. We ordered our food individually, each pointing in turn to our choice in the menu. The server just wrote a list. Sure enough, he had no idea who ordered what. The salads came, and we sorted those out. However, the kebabs all arrived together in a pile on two plates. This required a major effort to get straight, but everyone finally received what they ordered. I had lamb chop kebab and a Greek salad (the salad was interesting in that it was dressed with a little bit of tampanade). 

The bill was presented to Tim, the Dragoman guide. 230,000 CYM. Whoa!  A hundred bucks on the nose (at the official rate). After everyone chipped in what they thought they should, we were still just a little short, but we all kicked in another 1,500 CYM and the pot was right. It was quite a stack of cash. Here is what 91,200 CYM looks like:


It was a nice evening. 


No comments:

Post a Comment