"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Sunday, April 27, 2014

Not Too Bad A Day

I had a late start today, drying out gear from last night's heavy rain. It started just after I had the tent up (about 5:30) and lasted until almost midnight. But it was a glorious morning, and I was dry by 11:00. 

After my breakfast of coffee, croissant and pain de chocolate, I headed across the Rhone and down to Avignon. A nice ride through the countryside, and through some beautiful cities. Montélimar and Orange in particular were nice with tree lined boulevards and shops set back under the trees. 

At Avignon, I paid 4€ so I could walk on the bridge and sing the old song about sur la pont, d'Avignon, etc. In honor of my brother, Robb, I danced a jig while I sang. This was met with discouraging looks by passers-by and stand-abouts. 


Avignon is the City of Popes, and this shot is of a rampart and tower below the Castle of the Popes. 


In the walls surrounding the old inner city, there are very narrow embrasures or slits made in the shape of the cross. Beautiful. 

I rode on to Aix-en-Provence, promptly got lost, and asked Mr. Garmin to find me a campsite. Here it is:




Tomorrow I am going to try and find a really nice campsite near Nice where I can rest up for Corsica, Sardinia, Sicily. Maybe I can find a good French meal, too. 




 

1 comment: