"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, April 14, 2014

Update on the Bike

The bike is here and waiting to clear Customs. I think we have convinced Customs that I am not importing the bike. That is quite a relief. Moreover, the total port fees here were only €170.00, which I promptly paid in cash with a smile and hearty "Thank you, it was a pleasure doing business with you."  I had expected to be charged in the neighborhood of €470.00, so the savings were good. 

The weather here today has been rain, hail, wind, then sun. Apparently this is the normal weather pattern here for this time of year. It discourages sightseeing though. I did drive to Hamburg today to the Touratech store. I bought a gas container (they're not cans anymore) and a few more maps. I refrained from going overboard, though, as I'm still trying to keep weight off the bike. 

And so I wait. Until I get an email that the bike can be picked up, there is nothing I can do. Fortunately, I have my Kindle. That and an almost comfortable chair in my room. Could be worse though, I could be in a tent on the steppes in Kazakhstan. 

I can also get some study time in. Looks like the Ukraine is not going to be an option on the way back, but I still may try. Belarus is definitely out because I'm not going to play their visa game. Just wait and see, I suppose. Maybe if I could get journalist credentials?  Do you think the Alaska  Dispatch would like a war correspondent? Maybe KTTU?  I could do iPhone video selfies!  

1 comment: