"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Today's Adventure

Let's start towards the end of the day. I had just finished a several kilometer downhill stretch on a very narrow road with no shoulder and a steep drop off to the edge, crossed a narrow bridge onto Route de Bouilland on my way to Les Premier Pres Campground near Savigny-lés-Beaune, when the bike started going nuts and the rear end started to kick out. Whoops!


It's that pesky rear tire again!  So flat by the time I got it under control and rolled to a stop it was off the rim. 

I started to unload it, because it was in a very dangerous place (no shoulder, against a guard rail, etc.), when the nicest young woman cycling by stopped to inquire. Colleen, from Toronto, inquired first in French and then in English (both of which are better than mine, if I needed for her to make a call for me. Boy, did I ever!

After several calls, Colleen arranged for a tow truck to come pick me and the bike up. She is perhaps the best person ever. She continued her ride, and on her way back, stopped again and translated for the tow truck driver. Then she offered to give me a ride into town tomorrow to the garage where the bike is. She and her husband have started a winery here, and when I learn the name, I will post it here and each and every reader of this entry must buy a case of their wine. Maybe I can buy some to be used for communion at All Saints!  Father Elliot will like it I'm sure. 

This morning I spent walking around in Langres, a beautiful old walled city with the walls largely remaining.  That's where I had the tuna fish and fried egg pizza last night. I camped near this tower. 


In fact, the photo was taken from my tent. 

I then rode to the Fontenay Abbey where I spent an hour or so just walking the grounds. While I was in the church (which is totally vacant and empty) someone played a Gregorian chant over a sound system. I closed my eyes and it seemed as though centuries melted away, and I was listening to the monks. It was very peaceful. 

Colleen asked me if I had plans for where I would go and where I would stay each night. I told her no, I just said a prayer each morning asking God to guide me. That has been working so well and each place has been a delight. I am well cared for. 

This campground is another example. Very clean, well cared for, and nice owners. I hope they do well for many years to come. 

3 comments:

  1. That'll learn ya to run them fancy Metzler roadie tires. TKCs were too buzzy eh. Flat tires... numb nether regions... flat tires... tough call.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you keep running in to these 'angels' when you need them!
    S

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cooper, I appreciate you letting a higher power guide you to your next destination. In '99, I wandered throughout Western Europe with a backpack and some friends, I broke off from the main group to explore Italy on my own and shunned any guidebooks or advice and let "the Force guide me." This was a particularly interesting experience circling Florence 3 times with a backpack on my back looking for the location of a youth hostel I was told existed. The Force was weak that day. Or my Italian was terrible. Or I am terrible at following directions.

    Safe travels.

    Kelly.

    ReplyDelete