"If you think adventure is dangerous, try routine; it's lethal." - Paul Coelho

Monday, April 28, 2014

The Mediterranean At Last

If you get a map and follow DN7 from Aix-en-Provence to Antibe, that is the route I rode today. Parts of the country reminded me of the Hill Country in central Texas with cap-rock, limestone, reddish earth, pine trees and oaks. There were done olive trees, too, although much larger than those in the olive grove started recently just outside Wimberley, Texas. Of course the main difference is the only pick-up truck I saw today was am old VW from the sixties. 

I made it to within view of the Med shortly after 1:00. The previous hour I spent on DN7 between Fréjus and Cannes, a not very wiggly red line on the map, but which is a delightful two lane twisty road over two minor cols. The surrounding country was pretty rugged, kind of like the cedar breaks under the Mogollon Rim in Arizona. Or like a tidal chop where there is no distinct orientation to the geographical features. Sure was pretty with the various shades of green, the sun and deep shadow, and the red earth. 

I then spent about the next two hours in stop stop go stop traffick through Cannes, Golfe-Juan, and Antibes. A beautiful but breezy morning had turned into a cloudy and windy afternoon. I suppose that is what kept the beautiful people indoors. Or somewhere other than where I was. Of course, maybe the dirt on the knees of my jeans and the bug scarred leather jacket put them off. Regardless, I didn't see them. 

So I'm camped up at La Colle sur Loup for a few days. I plan to see sme sights, a church or two, a medieval village, and some museums.  

1 comment:

  1. Except for the stop and go traffic, sounds like a great ride. Looking forward to hearing about thenext few days.

    ReplyDelete